Monday 17 January 2011

OUGD301 Evaluation.

This module has been a Achievement in some area's of my design practice and a unfulfillment in others. I started this module with the aim of completing 4 comprehensive briefs and within this focusing my development on my design software skills. This would then lead to a more focused FMP and a more consistent portfolio.

I'm slightly disappointed that i was not able to complete all my briefs that i had set out to do. This is mainly due to mumps that i contracted during the end of the module that effected me longer than i had anticipated. Even though i had an extension to this module my body was not feeling 100% mentally and physically. However some human fault must be included in this. My management of my briefs was poor during this module. The studio brief ran over the allocated time limit of about 3 weeks. This was because i wanted to do too much with the brief with little time and that i was learning how to use illustrator at a more advanced level. Tutorials with tutors/ colleagues suggested that i reduce the amount of work i was doing for the brief and propose some of the work i was doing. Me being me i felt that i could get it all done and in the end couldn't. I should of been more realistic on what was achievable and what wasn't. I should of stopped putting deadlines back and finished the briefs at their current state.

Apart from this i was happy with the quality of the work produced and the skills i have learnt in the process. Attending indesign workshops have helped, however not all the skills learnt from them were put into practice until later in the module. Skills like baseline grids and style paragraphs have been very useful and will allow me to be more effective with my time in my FMP. Shortcut keys have also started to occur when i have been designing. Both in indesign and illustrator but more apparent in illustrator.

Illustrator has been a problem in the past for me, especially using the pen tool. So when this module began i specifically wrote in some briefs that would require vector graphics. This allowed me to get plenty of practice in using the pen tool and with some help from friends began to understand what i was doing wrong.

Overall this module has been a very interesting experience for me. I have learn't more things in 3 months than i have in the last 2 years. Mainly because i've worked the hardest i have ever worked before and because i had plenty of time to reflect when i was ill. The execution of my work has also improved. I began to get interested in minimal design at the end of year 2. You can now see this transition and how its effected my "style" of work.

In-terms of my progression of my design practice, the direction i want to head into has become much clearer. I want to design industrial graphics that require clear and detailed information. The next briefs i produce will reflect this more and with everything i have learn't in this module will be much more of a success. The quality has greatly improved and so has the understanding. Its just the focus and decision making that i must improve for FMP. Something i'm confident can be done .

Action Plan For FMP:

  1. Be realistic with work that can be done and cannot be done.
  2. Stick to deadlines. Can always come back and improve the work later on.
  3. Get into a pattern with doing research then developing, doing research then developing etc. Not; doing all the research and developing at the end.
  4. Be more decisive with planning and development. Work Faster.
  5. Constantly re-evaluate the work being done with the brief. What is needed and what isn't.
  6. Continue the development of indesign and illustrator skills. Especially shortcut keys.
  7. Get myself into some workshops for finish's and process's. Use some finish's for my pieces
  8. Collaboration with someone with opposite skill sets.
  9. Blog daily or have a specific day of blogging and keep to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment